Lake Maggiore is also home to a number of destinations which promise you a memorable winter vacation full of fun and activities. The two most happening and must-visit destinations of these are Mottarone and San Domenico which can be easily covered on a day trip from Lake Maggiore. These destinations also offer facilities for a variety of winter sports that you can enjoy with family and friends.
Imagine a skiing destination which promises an incredible view of seven lakes (Lake Maggiore, Lake Orta, Lake Mergozzo, Lake Varese, Lake Camabbio, Lake Monate, Lake Biandronno) and the magnificent Alps. That’s Mottarone for you, a ski destination with amazing pistes and stunning landscapes. The best part about the destination is that the peak from where the skiing begins can be reached by a 30-minute ride on a cableway from Carciano, near Stresa. Otherwise, it’s less than 6 miles journey by road.
Considered as one of the most beautiful natural balconies in Piedmont, Mottarone offers 21 km of slopes and 7 lifts for skiing and snowboarding. The destination has 21 pistes of varied difficulty and length. In terms of infrastructure, the place offers easy rental options for equipment and gears. It also has a number of restaurants and bars to enjoy a good day out. While it is rare to find snow in Stresa, Mottarone, only half an hour away from here, is covered in white from November onwards.
- Data area: Via due Riviere 24c, Armeno, tel: +39 0323 925506,w mottarone.it
- Slopes: 17
- Lifts: 7
- Height: 1.200 – 1.491 m.
- Open: 22-12-2019 to 20-04-2020 (expectated)
- Ski Day Pass: € 29,00
- Distance Pallanza: 35 km (car: 50 min)
- Place near the ski resort: Stresa
Only about an hour from Stresa, San Domenico is a wonderful year-round holiday destination. But winters here are a different story altogether. With its high-quality snow coverage which is among the best in the region, the skiing season here starts from early December and continuing through early May. With 35 km of pristine slopes that range in varying difficulty, alongside the breathtaking setting of the Sando SnowPark and the popular Wild Snowboard and Ski School to enjoy, San Domenico offers a delightful resort for beginners, intermediates and experts alike.
The modern resort village benefits from a lively array of amenities and shops to complement a self-catering stay, with authentic pizzerias, taverns, chic restaurants, bars and pubs to enjoy. Visitors in search of a gift can easily pick up a traditional souvenir from one of the local farm shops that sell regional honey, cheeses and flowers. As the sun sets across the dramatic mountain peaks, the bars provide a good dose of a traditional evening to bring the day to a close.
- Data area: Fraction San Domenico, Varzo, tel: + 39 0324 780868, w sandomenicoski.com
- Runs: 19
- Lifts: 7
- Height: 1,420-2,500 m.
- Open: 06-12-2019 to 13-04-2020 (expected)
- Ski Day Pass: €31.00-€35.00 (also online)
- Distance Pallanza: 66 km (car: 1 hour and 6 min)
- Place near the ski resort: Varzo (10 km)
The Domobianca ski area is located in the Ossolatal (Vald’Ossola), an hour’s drive from Pallanza. This authentic Italian small but cosy ski resort features 7.5 km of slopes for skiing and snowboarding. Very suitable for children, but also adults come here. There are 3 restaurants and 1 bar.
- Data area: Location Alpe Lusentino, Domodossola, tel: + 39 0324 242722, w domobianca.it
- Slopes: 12
- Lifts: 6
- Height: 1,088-1,845 m.
- Open: 07-12-2019 to 13-04-2020 (expected)
- Ski Day Pass: €23.00-€29.00
- Distance Pallanza: 53 km (car: 56 min)
- Place near ski resort: Domodossola (11 km)
Monte Rosa is a ski resort in the mountains of Aosta and is spread over 3 valleys. The ski resort Macugnaga is in Valle Anzasca (Anzasca Valley) and offers almost 30 km of slopes to enjoy a day skiing or snowboarding.
- Date area: Location Macugnaga Monterosa Ski, tel: +39 0324 242722, w macugnaga-monterosa.it
- Slopes: 16
- Lifts: 7
- Height: 1.327 – 3.000 m.
- Open: 30-11-2019 tot 25-04-2020 (expected)
- Ski Day Pass: € 27,00
- Distance Pallanza: 61 km (car: 76 min)
- Place near ski resort: Macugnaca (0 km)